Pulp & Paper
Papermaking processes use a huge amount of water, with most of it recirculating throughout the system. As the process water circulates for a long time throughout the system which is greatly enriched with substances that are a source of nutrients for microorganisms, so the tendency for proliferation of the microbial population is very strong.
Some microorganisms deposit biofilms (slime), growing on all wetted parts of the machinery and felts causing black stains, odour, paper breaks, low quality and machine downtimes, resulting in low productivity.
Biocides are the industries go to chemicals for some control, however, the now toxic stream ends in the wastewater and recycling plants, causing significant issues with biological treatment systems.
The Patented organocatalyst, Fibre-Cat™, belongs to a family of products by Bio-Organic Catalysts Inc (BOC). The non-hazardous, non-dangerous organic liquid has a high propensity to solubilise organic matter and increase gas transfer (e.g. O2) used in microbiological and oxidative chemical processes. These mechanisms degrade lipids, proteins and exopolysaccharides within the structural network of biofilm formed by harmful microorganisms during and after the colonization of surfaces. The organocatalyst quickly removes existing slime and prevents further slime redepositing.
A knock-on microbial control effect is produced as extracellular producing bacteria are exposed to high levels of oxygen without biofilm protection. Biocide application may be reduced as resulting diversity changes in the white water can negate the need (partially at least), and oxidative chemicals can be enhanced (catalysed) via the increased gas transfer mechanism.
Application of BOCs liquid concentrate is simple being continually dosed at small concentrations at the pulper or in reticulation circuits in process water. General application rates are 120ml per dry tonne pulp.
What makes us different?
- Substantially reduce manufacturing downtime required to clean rollers
- Improve discharge quality (COD/BOD, TSS, TDS, NH4) and improve water recyclability
- Reduced energy for water treatment and de-inking (15 to 30%)
- Reduce costs in cleaning and maintenance, slime and stickies
- Reduce freeness of pulp (between 10 to 20%)
- Improved paper quality (strength and brightness)
- Reduce and eliminate odour
- Reduce Chemical usage, (biocide, enzymes, dispersants, surfactants and polymers)
Industries this is suitable for
- Pulp & Paper Industry
Our solution will assist your OH&S risk by
- Reducing the use of hazardous chemicals