Using Probiotics to reduce Vibrio risk in Prawn Farms
In much of the world, prawn production is affected by disease, particularly caused by Vibrio and/or other viruses. In many cases the use of antibiotics has been ineffective, or result in increases in virulence of pathogens. Probiotic technology provides a solution for these problems by adding selected bacterial species to displace the harmful bacteria (Moriarty, D).
What are the Signs of Vibrio?
- High to severe mortalities
- Reduced feeding, absence of fecal strands
- Bacterial colonisation of cuticle, appendages, oral region, HP, gut
- Enteric or systemic invasion
What are the benefits of using Probiotics?
- Beneficial bacteria displaces the pathogens by competitive exclusion
- Enhance immune response
- Improve overall water quality
- Devour organic sludge and waste
How PondToss™ works to reduce Vibrio risk:
A proper application of PondToss™ creates an immense colony of beneficial and desirable bacteria that dominate the biofloc community and out compete pathogenic microorganisms through competitive exclusion.
Reference: David J. W. Moriarty “Disease Control in Shrimp Aquaculture with Probiotic Bacteria”